Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday, Jan. 21, 2011


It was -15 degrees here this morning. The full moon was blasting like a spotlight on the reflective snow, the house was cold and creaked from the subzero temps, the dog was restless...I did not sleep soundly. And painting at the studio has not been going so well this last week. I guess that is inevitable. I've been working on a 16" x 20" canvas and it has been rather frustrating, to say the least. There are probably about 6 or 7 layers on it now and, still, it is ugly and unresolved. It's not going anywhere. And neither am I.

I'm wondering if I should just abandon it or toss it. Or keep working it? I covered it with a coat of Prussian Blue just before leaving for the day. Ugly. It was so different throughout the week; it has gone through so many stages! One day, all day long, I just painted and unpainted a pink sphere on it. The surface is now rough, brush stroked, streaked.

Well, it's just going to sit there for a while. It is not my job to redeem it or save it or turn it around. In many ways, we are equal partners. We need to sit this one out right now - and then see what happens later. There is a real possibility that this painting could be a failure. Maybe it is trying to teach me something. Maybe it has no intention whatsoever of hanging on the studio wall...

2 comments:

  1. no,no,no..... dont touch a thing it is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too late, sir. It is still pretty dark (and indigo) but is heading off in yet another direction. It is a vagabond.

    ReplyDelete