Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tues, Nov. 8, 2011

Here is another one, also 9" x 11." Things are getting crowded in the studio so I'm working smaller these days! Plus the evolution goes more quickly.
 The blue background is very brushy and fluid (click on the image to see details better). Yesterday it was much whiter but the blues reasserted themselves today. The background changed after this photo was taken - it's a bit lighter, more opaque and the diamond shape is now more faint.

It looks scorpioid to me. And I kind of see a salamander or lizard on the lower left. But, of course, there was no conscious intention for any subject matter; the shapes always assert themselves, first and foremost. As mentioned yesterday, I'd expected to work with definite, solid forms. Alas, ambiguity and watery brushwork demand their presences in this work.

That being said, there is a new 30" x 40" canvas that is expected to conform to my wishes of high contrast and sharp outline. Which is easy for me to say now.

No comments:

Post a Comment